The HCEG Top 10 List – Innovating and Transforming the Healthcare Industry
Each year for the past 12 years, the Healthcare Executive Group ideates and defines a list of the top 10 challenges, issues and impacts that its healthcare executive members think will be their primary focus for the following year. The HCEG Top 10 list is intended to drive healthcare innovation and transformation throughout the industry by serving as the basis for continuous and evolving dialog on the critical healthcare issues and concerns facing HCEG’s member organizations.
Creating the 2017 HCEG Top 10 List
Over 100 HCEG members and sponsor partners developed the 2017 Top 10 list during its Annual Forum held on Sep 11th through the 13th in New York City. As Ferris Taylor, HCEG Office of the Chair and COO of Arches Health Plan noted: “This year’s Top 10 list was derived from an initial list of 27 topics, and reflects the incredible transformation taking place (and needing to take place) in customer-centric services provided by health plans. As discussed at our Forum, technology and innovation are moving quickly. Our members see these 10 trends having lasting impact in the way we all become engaged, digital consumers and responsible healthcare stakeholders.”
The Prioritized 2017 HCEG Top 10 List Includes:
- Value-based Payments: Targeting specific medical conditions to manage cost and quality of care
- Total Consumer Health: Improving member’s overall well-being – medical, social, financial, and environmental
- Clinical and Data Analytics: Leveraging big data with clinical evidence to segment populations, manage health and drive decisions
- Cybersecurity: Protecting the privacy and security of consumer health information
- Cost Transparency: Growing legislation and consumer demand
- Harnessing Mobile Health Technology: Improving disease management, member engagement, and data collection and distribution
- Addressing Pharmacy Costs: Implementing strategies to address growth of pharma costs versus benefits to quality of care and total medical costs
- Care Redesign: Leveraging team-based care models, focusing on behavioral health and social needs
- Accessible Points of Care: Telehealth, retail clinics and micro-hospitals vs. large, integrated systems
- Next Generation ACOs: Additional programs in bundled payment, episodes of care-shared savings, and growing participant base
What’s Next for the Top 10?
In addition to serving as the basis for a wealth of research, white papers, webinars, blogs, and formal and informal discussion opportunities available throughout the year, the Top 10 list serves as the basis for The Industry Pulse: a research survey project executed via a partnership between HCEG and Change Healthcare. The survey will be available October 6th through October 31st to an expanded group of healthcare executives, analysts and industry though leaders. Joint research between the HCEG and Change Healthcare will be conducted to expand on the list and to detail how certain healthcare organizations address the Top 10 items via different trajectories. This research will enable participants to benchmark how their own organization is tracking against these varying approaches and consider alternative strategies. A white paper containing comprehensive survey results and analysis will be available in early December. Take the survey today.
For more information on the HCEG Top 10 list and the Healthcare Executive Group, check out our website or contact us. You can also follow us on Twitter where we tweet as @HCExecGroup, check us out on Facebook and/or follow us on LinkedIn.