Healthcare Leaders Select and Rank Their Top 10 Challenges for 2018
Spend 2.5 days in Nashville, Healthcare capital of the US, to discuss the evolution of the industry
Nashville, TN – October 3, 2017 – As part of the Healthcare Executive Group’s (HCEG) 29th Annual Forum, today the organization announces the release of the 2018 HCEG Top 10 list of critical opportunities, challenges and issues in healthcare. The Annual Forum is a platform for leading executives across the healthcare industry to gather with thought-leaders and solutions providers to discuss common obstacles, continuous innovation opportunities and their digital transformation initiatives.
The HCEG Top 10 has been a keystone of the Healthcare Executive Group for over 13 years and provides insight into the most current, pressing priorities facing their industry. Based on HCEG member input and sponsor partner research, the HCEG Top 10 serves as a framework for continuous and evolving dialog among healthcare executive members on the critical opportunities, challenges and issues facing their organizations. Educational programming including periodic Executive Leadership Round Tables, research initiatives, monthly webinars, whitepapers, blog posts and ongoing member discussion are all driven by the HCEG Top 10.
“This year’s HCEG Top 10 list was derived from an initial list of topics, augmented by the 2017Industry Pulse Survey, and reflects the incredible transformation taking place in customer-centric services provided by health plans and providers,” states Ferris W. Taylor, HCEG Office of the Chair and past COO of Arches Health Plan. “As discussed at our Forum, technology and innovation are impacting almost every aspect of healthcare. As an industry, we need these discussions among the best and the brightest thought leaders to not just survive, but to thrive. Our members believe these 10 issues and
trends will have lasting impacts in the way we all become engaged, digital consumers and responsible, successful, solution-oriented healthcare stakeholders.”
Ranking the 2018 HCEG Top 10
The HCEG 2018 Top 10 were compiled and ranked during last week’s 2017 Annual Forum held in Nashville, TN – the Healthcare Capital of the United States. Executives from leading health plans, health systems, provider organizations, other associations and HCEG sponsor partner organizations selected the 2018 HCEG Top 10 via an iterative, web-based survey process, jointly supported by all HCEG sponsors and facilitated by HCEG’s 2017 Platinum Sponsor, Change Healthcare.
The 2018 HCEG Top 10
- Clinical and Data Analytics: Leveraging big data with clinical evidence to segment populations, manage health and drive decisions
- Population Health Services Organizations: Operationalizing population health strategy, chronic care management, driving clinical integration, and integrating social determinants of health
- Value-based Payments: Targeting specific medical conditions to manage cost and quality of care
- Cost Transparency: Growing legislation and consumer demand
- Total Consumer Health: Improving members’ overall well-being and medical, social, financial, and environment
- Cybersecurity: Protecting the piracy and security of consumer information
- Healthcare Reform: Repeal, replace, or substantial modification of current healthcare laws, Block Grants, Single-Payer, Industry Stability
- Harnessing Mobile Health Technology: Improving disease management, member engagement, and date collection/distribution
- Addressing Pharmacy Costs: Implementing strategies to address growth of pharma costs versus benefits to quality of care and total medical costs
- The Engaged Digital Consumer: HSAs, member/patient portals, health and wellness education materials
2018 HCEG Top 10 as Basis for Additional Research
After its initial delineation during HCEG’s Annual Forum, the HCEG Top 10 serves as the basis for on-going discussion, industry-wide analysis and in-depth research performed by sponsor partner and member organizations throughout the following year. In addition to serving as the framework for examining critical issues, opportunities, and challenges that HCEG member organizations face during this era of healthcare reform and transformation, the HCEG Top 10will be complimented by an 8th annual, nation-wide, healthcare Industry Pulse Survey. Healthcare leaders across the nation will be invited to participate in the research and to backdrop and contrast their own perspectives against the 2018 HCEG Top 10.
The HealthCare Executive Group is a national network of healthcare executive and thought leader members who come together as a group to navigate the strategic and tactical issues facing their organizations. HCEG provides a platform for its members and sponsor partners to promote healthcare innovation and the development of life-long professional relationships. Originally chartered as the Managed Care Executive Group (MCEG), the HealthCare Executive Group (HCEG), was founded in 1988 by healthcare executives looking for a forum where the open exchange of ideas, opportunities for collaboration and transformational dialogue could freely ensue, especially with respect to the annually identified HCEG Top 10 opportunities, challenges and issues all members faced.
About HCEG Sponsors
The HealthCare Executive Group partners with a limited, select group of vendor partners who support HCEG’s platform for the open exchange of ideas, knowledge and expertise. HCEG values its collaborative relationship and ongoing support from its sponsor partners:
- Change Healthcare
- Cumberland Consulting Group
- High Point Solutions
- Virtual Health
For additional information on HCEG sponsors visit www.hceg.org/about/#SponsoringPartners